Description of the Cibutil package
(by CIBMAL) is a set of programs and commands, that ease up the daily utilisation of a PC. The
functionality of some of the commands and programs in CIButil®, are also included in DOS.
The CIButil® versions is lesser and/or more flexible. CIButil® contains commands and
programs, with functionality similar to other available utility sets, as e.g. Norton
Utilities and PCTools. CIButil® is not a competitor, but a supplement to such sets.
The package contains the following items,
some of which is VERY old (over 10 years) - but might still be useful for some (?) We are
open for suggestions of modifications, and might convert some of them to 32bit and GUI
versions if needed.
Most of the tools were originally made
for use in batchfiles, and many are mere extensions to the commands included in DOS, by
making internal (and documented) DOS-features available from the Commandline. Some of
these might at first glance seem obsolete in newer version of DOS and windows, but usually
the CIButil version have less user-interaction (screenoutput and or confirmations).
The manual for all the contained
programs, are roughly translated and modified from an original Danish version written in
an old WordPerfect. If we get a good amount of feedback, we might use (more) time in
polishing up the manual. Click here to download the manual
in PDF (0.6M) and here to download in MS Word format
to download CIButil. Since all the programs can be contained in a single small
zip-file, individual download is not available.
The list is divided into sections
depending on the assumed usability of today. And listed alphabetically in each category.
Common - Programs
that are still useful for a wide range of use (and users)
- ATBUSID Returns identification from AT-bus (or IDE ) harddisk.
- ATCLOCK Read the time from the internal CMOS memory to the DOS watch.
- ATD List all harddisks, defined in BIOS.
- BOOT Reboot the machine (soft- or hard-boot).
- CHKCLOCK Check, that the computerwatch have not been set back.
- CHKPRN Check printer, background initialise printer from file,
when printer is repowered.
- CLK Change system watch, or file timestamp, using the arrows.
- CLR Clears the screen, and reset the screen mode.
- COMSWAP Swaps to serial ports.
- CONVERT Convert an ASCII value by another in a file.
- CUT Copies part of a file.
- DDT Disk datatransfer test.
- DELTDATE Batchfiletool e.g for accessing yesterdays logfiles
- DIRDAT Directorylist, including timestamp and archivebit, no
- DIRX (former DIRS) Display allocated
- ECHOERR Displays the returncode from last program.
- ED Editor.
- FEQ Compares two files, date and contents.
- FILES Displays number of free filehandles.
- FILTIM Number of timeticks to read a file.
- FM FileManage. Search, Search/Replace in files and deletion of files
- HDIM_C2D Performs a BIOS imagecopy of primary to secondary harddisk.
- HDIM_D2C Performs a BIOS imagecopy of secondary to primary harddisk.
- INSTHI Redirects program loads to UMB in DOS5 This is not identical to
- KEYINSTR Sends a sequence of keystrokes.
- KEYPRESS Check for keyboard entry.
- KEYSTATE Returns state of [Alt], [Ctrl] and [Shift].
- KILLBLK Deletes a number of lines above the cursor, and moves cursor
up. Optionally depending on screen-content
- LCMD DOS commandline buffer (Similar to DosKey).
- LPTRERO Printerport rerouting.
- LPTSWAP Swaps two printerports.
- MODEGET Reads screenmode.
- MODESET Sets screenmode.
- MODFILE Commandline modifications of a text/ini-file
- MOVE Moving of files to other directory (included in newer DOS).
- MSG Shows a framed message on screen.
- NOARCHAT Clears archive-attributes in all of specified path.
- NOBLANK Prevents blank lines in tty screenoutput.
- NONUM Turns [num lock] off.
- NOSNR Removes DOS5 serialnumber from a disk or diskette.
- OLDER Compares the timestamp of two files.
- PEEKINI Peeks value from standard ini-file.
- PRTSCFIL Redirects [Print Scrn] to a file.
- PRWAIT Utillity program to make printersharing working smoother.
- RANDOM Harddisk random read- and seektest.
- RENA Renames files and directory.
- REZUP Updates the content of the CMOS memory.
- REZUPINI Initializes the REZUP program.
- SAMEDATE Copies the timestamp from one file to another.
- SETERROR Sets the value ERRORLEVEL.
- SKIPNXT.SYS Optionaly skips next linies in CONFIG.SYS
- SPLITFIL Splits a file in one or more parts of specified size
- STAT Display drive, printer, serial og coprocessor overwiew.
- TAGBYUSE Modifies fileattributes on fileaccess.
- TOKEYBUF Sends keystrokes to the keyboardbuffer.
- TUMB Checks if RAM is available for UMB.
- TYPMATIC Sets keyboard repetitionrates.
- USERNAME Peeks current username from WinNT or win95. (useful in
- WAITKEY Awaits a keystroke, without removing it from the
- WINBOOT Restart MS-WINDOWS.
- WINMODE Checks if MS-WINDOWS is active.
Rare - Programs
that are expected to be limited to a smaller segment of users
- ATSETUP Changes content of CMOS-RAM.
- CMOS Displays the content of the CMOS memmory.
- CURSSIZ Modifies the cursorsize (e.g. on notebooks with poor displays).
- ERAQ Deletionprogram, prompting for deletion on each file (included in
- ERKBD Keyboarddriver.
- ERKSET Setups ERKBD keyboarddriver.
- ERSHELL Loads COMMAND.COM in UMB.
- FREE Displays amount of free memory in DOS.
- GETANSEN Reads key return in ERRORLEVEL.
- READALL Reads all sectors on a disk.
- REZAT Updates the content of the CMOS memory.
- REZATINI Initializes the REZAT program.
Weird - All kinds
of stuff that might be useful for a very small segment of (other) freaks
- ACTIVECP Displays the active CODEPAGE
- BIOSDUMP Copies the contents of the BIOS to two files.
- CLEAN386.SYS Fix for 386MAX version 6.
- EATCHUNK Reserves largest available UMB block.
- ENV Lists DOS memmory usage.
- EURODATE Forces date to european format.
- FADE256 Fades the VGA skærm.
- FASTLOAD Copies EGA/VGA BIOS to DOS memmory.
- FORCECP Catches request on CODEPAGE.
- GETKEYMO Reads mousebutton or keyboard, return in i ERRORLEVEL.
- GOTITSEN Returns the ASCII value af a character in ERRORLEVEL.
- INT16 Shows the SCANCODE and KEYCODE for one keystroke.
- INT3 Trigs a resident debugger, as ERD.
- INT5 Printscreen without blanks.
- INT9 Shows the codes returned from the keyboardcontroller.
- PARK Parks the heads of a harddisk as far from the BOOTTRACK as
- PREFORMA Preformats a harddisk.
- PREVSN Prevents DOS5 in creating so called serialnumber.
- REFORM Reformats the harddisk.
- ROMPRTSC Moves the PRINT SCREEN function to be performed by the
- SCOMMAND Saves the display content during temporary call of
- SHOWBMP Shows a .BMP file on a VGA display.
- SHWB1024 Shows a .BMP file on a 1024x768 VGA display.
- PDK Converts danish characters æ,ø, and å to Hp or ISO codes.
- VDK Danish ø og Ø samt 0 to EGA and VGA displays VERY SMALL